As part of the 'Regionale 2010' initiative, the city of Cologne will be giving Ottoplatz square in Deutz a brand new look from the beginning of next year. An accompanying exhibition on the history of the square can currently be seen in the district's municipal offices. One of its attractions is a historical engine on loan from DEUTZ. The engine, which was built in 1922, will be on display from 9 August to 29 October 2010 in the Magistrale building.
In 1951, Ottoplatz square was renamed in honour of DEUTZ's founder Nicolaus August Otto. It also features a monument to the first 'atmospheric gas-powered engine' from 1864. The statue was erected in 1931 and is another tribute to Otto, the man who invented the four-stroke engine. In 1864, Otto teamed up with Eugen Langen to establish Nicolaus August Otto & Cie., the world's first engine factory and the precursor of today's DEUTZ AG.
Your contact for this DEUTZ AG press release is:
Tel.: +49 (0)221 822-5553
Fax: +49 (0)221 822-15-5553